Tankless water heaters are a newer style water heater that is becoming more and more popular these days. Many of you may have heard about tankless water heaters before. But, because they are still relatively newer, you may not know a whole lot about them and how they compare to their traditional tanked brethren. In today’s blog at Gundlach’s Service, our Bakersfield plumbing services talk more about what tankless water heaters are, their benefits, and their potential downsides to help you decide if a tankless water heater is a right option for you! And as always, don’t hesitate to reach out to our professional plumbing services in Bakersfield if you have any questions or are ready to schedule your service.
What is a Tankless Water Heater?
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the tankless water heater design here is a brief explanation of the concept. Tankless water heaters use burners to quickly heat up the water as it makes its way through the water heater. There is no need for a storage tank because the water is instantly heated as it moves through the water heater and is then distributed throughout your home.
For comparison, traditional water heaters come in your choice of tank size, usually between 30 and 50 gallons. The water in the tank is then heated using a gas or electric energy source. Then, the water is continuously kept warm until you need it for your shower, sink, or appliances. Whether you decide a traditional tank water heater is the right option for you or a tankless water heater is the way to go, be sure to have professional plumbing services help you safely install your water heater! Water heaters can be tricky and in some cases dangerous if not installed properly.
Looking for a reliable Bakersfield plumber? Contact our team at Gundlach’s Service today!
Pros of the Tankless Water Heater Over Traditional Water Heaters
There is a reason that tankless water heaters have been so quickly gaining popularity for homeowners. There is a lot to love about having a tankless water heater over a traditional one. Some of the biggest pros for most people include:
- Longer Lifespans — They can sometimes make it upwards of 20–30 years!
- Less Space Used — Tankless heaters are very small and can be installed in even the most spatially challenged homes.
- Infinite Hot Water — Never run out of hot water again!
- Energy Efficient — Tankless water heaters can end up costing you 34% less every month compared to their tanked cousins.
- Faster Hot Water —Traditional water heaters can take a while to heat up since they try to heat up 30+ gallons all at once then distribute the water. Tankless water heaters heat water as you need it quickly and efficiently.
Interested in learning more about if a tankless water heater is a good fit for you? Contact our plumbing services at Gundlach’s Service in Bakersfield today!
Cons of the Tankless Water Heater Over Traditional Water Heaters
While tankless water heaters are an excellent option for some people, they may not make sense for everyone. Traditional water heaters have stood the test of time and have only been getting better and more efficient with age. Some of the biggest cons of tankless water heaters compared to traditional water heaters that our Bakersfield plumbers often hear are:
- Higher Upfront Costs — Rather than paying under $1,000 for a traditional water heater, you can expect to pay upwards of $2,000 to $4,000+ depending on the tankless model you choose.
- More Difficult to Install — A vast majority of homes are fitted for a traditional tank water heater. Replacing your tank water heater with a tankless one is much more complex and challenging. This can be a pain if you are doing the work yourself and can end up costing you more in labor from a plumber.
- Output Challenges — If you have a tankless water heater that isn’t the proper size for your home, you can run into demand complications. This means that if three people are showering, the dishwasher is running, and you’re doing laundry, your water heater may not be able to keep up like a traditional heater could.
Want to learn more about tank versus tankless water heaters? Feel free to reach out to our plumbing service professionals at Gundlach’s Service in Bakersfield! Our plumbers are happy to help answer any questions and address any concerns.
Gundlach’s Service in Bakersfield
Whether you decide that a tankless water heater is the best option for you and your needs or that a traditional tank water heater is going to work best, you can trust Gundlach’s Service to help you install it. We offer decades of plumbing services experience that we will gladly put to work for you. Call today!